Sam was really scary sick! We noticed he had been having looser bowel movements than usual as of Thursday....by Friday night his poopie had a red tinge to it. Sadly we didn't immediately FREAK OUT because he had had a cherry Italian ice. We figured the ice man was just rearing his ugly head. Unfortunately that was not it. Sam was in bad shape Saturday and by the middle of the night I was certain there was something seriously wrong. We raced to the ER early Sunday morning... and after a few hours of tests we were sent home none the wiser than we went in. We did get to do several stool samples at home to bring back to the hospital later that afternoon. Poor Sam Really hated the "hat". We where lucky enough to have our Home teacher Brandon and good friend Robbe come over and give him a beautiful blessing. And then the waiting began...
And it was torture...
We waited...
And Waited...
And waited...
Meanwhile poor same bloody diarrhea got worse....
and he was in PAIN... every time he went to the bathroom both he and I cried... So scary to know something is hurting and bleeding inside that I couldn't just kiss better and put a band aid on it. If it hadn't been for that blessing I think I would have lost my mind.
Finally we heard back from the Dr. he said, And i quote," well we got the tests back. They were rather interesting, in a bad way...... He has ECOLI." I think i literally dropped the phone. He then told me there was no treatment. We would just have to wait for it to run its coarse. He gave me a LOOOOONG LIST of warning signs of a possible turn for the worst...in which case we would have to immediately hospitalize him. After the shock set in and the panic started to subside he informs me that the health department is going to be contacting me to determine where he could have contracted Ecoli. Let the Brain racking begin!
After running through every possibility we could have eaten and coming up with little if no leads... it hit me... Last Saturday. Last Saturday we were playing down on the ranch. Sam was covered head to toe in Mud, Mud that is certain to be part Cow manure. He must have put his hand in his mouth and eaten some, brings a whole new meaning to cow pies huh?
Luckily by the time we figured out what it was and where he got it he was through the worst of it. By my birthday he was feeling much much better... I couldn't have asked for a better present than that. He is now almost 100% back to normal... we are still being really cautious, but hope that in a few days we will be out and about as usual.
Thanks for all the prayers rendered on our behalf, I know they helped with Sam's health and my nerves. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6 comments:
im so sorry!
wow!! that is frightening!! I'm SO glad he's okay!
What a scary scary time! I couldn't believe it when I read it first on facebook- it's just crazy! I'm so glad that he is feeling much better and was able to get a blessing so quick. Aw, poor Sammy...we will continue to pray for a FULL recovery!
Holy Cow! :) I'm SO glad that he's feeling better. That is scary. Sam's so lucky to have you taking care of him!
I'm glad that Sam is doing better. I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to not know what's wrong with your baby and to have to wait for test results. Crazy! And... you're welcome for the birthday card!
Wow! What an ordeal. So glad you made it through and he recovered in time for your birthday. Definitely a desirable present.
Post a Comment